If you are using a Drupal 6/8 software version or below, your codebase is no longer supported by either the official software developers, nor 3rd party module providers. If you have a Drupal 7 software version, your codebase will no longer be supported in November 2022. This doesn't mean you have to scrap your site and content though, it will simply require an upgrade to the a newer, supported version, which will bring along a range of feature updates too.
Upgrade Unsupported Drupal 6/7/8 Sites Now
Drupal 6/8 Websites Have Now Reached End Of Life Support, Drupal 7 November 2022
As of November 2021, Drupal 8 websites have now reached what is called their 'end of life' status (Drupal 7 November 2022), which means that any sites still using this software version are no longer maintained nor supported by Drupal itself, nor its 3rd party supporting module developers. This however, does not mean that your site must be rebuilt, it simply needs an update.
As with all software packages, including operating systems such as Windows, there comes a time when it ceases to be supported by its developers due to outdated technologies and feature improvements available in more modern equivalents. In the same way that Windows XP and other operating systems grow old and stop benefiting from updates and patches, so do web sites and content management systems, like Drupal. After an unusually long period of use and availability (a confirmation of just how good the platform has been), Drupal 6/8 is now officially an unsupported version (Drupal 7 November 2022), and you are advised to upgrade immediately to Drupal 9.
What this means for you:
- Drupal 6/7/8 will no longer be supported by the community and will no longer be offering new projects, fixing bugs in existing projects, writing documentation, etc. around Drupal 6.
- The security team will no longer provide support or Security Advisories for Drupal 6/7/8
- At some point in the future update status may stop working for Drupal 6/7/8 sites.
At the moment, your Drupal 6/7/8 website will still continue to work without issue, but due to new hosting and browser technologies this may not always be the case. On top of this, you must keep in mind that in having an unsupported version, you may be at risk of hackers/spammers in the future.
There is a simple solution. Upgrade.
Fortunately, this does not mean that you need a brand new website, it simply means that it is in need of a little work under the hood to upgrade your site to a new supported version of Drupal. Upgrading your site can be completed for you in a matter of hours or a few days, without you needing to do anything yourself. Simply contact Jemford today for a quote/time estimate for your site upgrade. Here's the benefits you'll enjoy:
- Keep your site secure and free of hackers
- Get the latest features bolted on to your existing site
- Enjoy a more modern and easy to use environment for updating your site
- Easier and more flexible mobile friendly options
- Peace of mind that your site will be supported for the foreseeable future